Time & Location
03 Jul 2023, 10:00 – 16:00
Zoom, Live & Online
About the event
Ever wondered how to create the perfect pleat? Fascinating fold? Tidy tuck? Ravishing ruffle?
During this workshop you’ll discover the full potential of the humble straight stitch and zingy zig zag. Often over looked, these simple stitches can create tremendous textures that will transform all of your projects. With the addition of some simple stitches a basic cushion cover could become a sumptuous surface!
We’ll look at ‘the bias’, create ‘faux chenille’, make wavy lettuce edges, dabble with translucent fabrics, pinch out pin tucks, wonder about waves and consider how you can create unique projects with your new skills! You’ll develop bundles of samples and a head full of ideas!
Use your regular sewing machine with a straight stitching foot, you’ll need some basic fabrics: calico, muslin, organdie, a twin needle for your machine [about 5mm], a few sewing threads and your enthusiasm!!!
This workshop is suitable for all levels of ability, I have over 30 years tutoring experience and I can help you gain confidence and be creative with your sewing machine. This is probably my favourite workshop to teach because its so experimental and playful - I can guarantee that it will delight!
We will be LIVE and ONLINE...it will be as if you are in the studio with me - there will be a 'comfort' break in the morning and afternoon, with an hour break at lunchtime. I will email everyone the day before we start with the zoom link so please watch out for my email. I'm also running the same workshop across two evenings CLICK HERE for details
Student Requirement List
- A fully working and serviced sewing machine For reference I use a Janome HD9 and MC6700 - obviously you can use most any machine!
- A straight stitch foot and the power cable/foot pedal [Ideally you’ll have additional machine feet/accessories to hand too]
- A collection of sewing threads a basic range of colours would be fine - I mainly use Wonderfil threads - aim for a quality branded thread to avoid disappointments
- Spare machine needles
- Twin sewing machine needle 5mm or wider if your machine has the capacity
- A range of weights of fabric for example: mid weight calico, cotton organdie, cotton scrim/muslin, woven wool/felt. I imagine you will have a broad range already in your stash.
- Snips, scissors [including small fine sharp scissors] and general sewing extras bits and pieces
- An Iron, iron surface
Try a use the items you already have available rather than go and spend on lots of extras [unless you really want to!]
See you at the workshop!
Structural Stitches 3rd July
LIVE & ONLINE 10am - 4pm Non refundable - but you can transfer if you are unable to attend£60.00